Welcome to 2011!
Here at Perfect Pieces we’re just catching up with everything after the Christmas & New Year break.
We did notice a most unusual Troika pottery lamp on eBay. It is a white glazed square Troika lamp base with a blue circular centre standing approximately 12″ tall. This piece is from when the pottery was based in Newlyn in Cornwall and has the same characteristics and style of the earlier St Ives white glazed pieces. It has been decorated by Louise Jinks (later McClary) who worked at the Troika pottery from c1976 – 1981. She actually became a senior decorator from 1979. It is a rather unusual piece, this shape and style are not often seen.
As always with eBay please be sure you’re totally comfortable with the seller and the item listing BEFORE bidding. If in doubt about anything contact the seller and ask questions – you can always judge how honest & good people are by their responses. Here are a few pointers on things to check BEFORE bidding on any item on eBay:
- Always check the photographs clearly by enlarging them if possible.
- Carefully read the item description for any detailing of faults/damage etc.
- ALWAYS check the seller’s feedback to see how other people have rated them.
- Note where the seller is based – you don’t want to be hit with any unexpected overseas postage charges if they’re not based within the UK.
- Take note of the postage charges before bidding and the postal service being used. It’s always good to pay for a tracked service so you keep track of where/when your parcel was posted if need be.
- If in doubt CONTACT THE SELLER with any other questions /queries
- Check out the seller’s Return Policy.
- And finally, if you have any doubts at all it’s always best not to bid!
Bear in mind this list is by no means exhaustive, when buying off eBay you are buying from an unknown.
If you have any unusual pieces of Troika pottery then leave us a comment below, it’s always nice to see & hear about the many different pieces that this very popular pottery created.